You are hereRAW Story: E-mails back up claim NPR refused money from conservative pranksters
RAW Story: E-mails back up claim NPR refused money from conservative pranksters
March 11, 2011- NPR has released a series of e-mails to back up their claim that they refused to take a $5 million donation from a fake Muslim group created by conservative pranksters.
"The fraudulent organization represented in this video repeatedly pressed us to accept a $5 million check, with no strings attached, which we repeatedly refused to accept," Dana Davis Rehm, NPR's senior vice president of marketing, communications and external relations, said in a statement following the release of a video by James O'Keefe's "Project Veritas."
The video had allegedly showed activists Shaughn Adeleye and Simon Templar posing as members of the fictional Muslim Education Action Center (MEAC) and meeting with NPR Foundation President Ron Schiller and NPR Senior Director of Institutional Giving Betsey Liley.
The conservative website The Daily Caller claimed that a subsequent video and e-mails released by O'Keefe's group indicated that NPR executives were closer to excepting the money than had previously been thought.
Liley had allegedly told the fake group that "awaiting a draft of a gift agreement from our legal counsel and will share it when I have it."
But NPR spokeswoman Anna Christopher told Talking Points Memo that the agreement "never got beyond the internal drafting stage - and was never sent. Period."
E-mails obtained by Talking Points Memo seem to back up that claim.